Saturday, March 6, 2010

First Date - Halloween Dance

In my family, the rule (based on the counsel from the LDS prophets) was that I couldn't date until I was 16.  Having skipped first grade, I was young for my grade and consequently the last of my friends allowed to date.  I wasn't even old enough to attend Homecoming of my Junior Year.  The first dance I could go to was the Halloween Dance, a girl's choice dance.  I asked my friend (and current crush) Dave Dunn to go with me.  I know it was a really huge deal to me at the time, but I can't remember a thing about how I asked him or how he answered me.  In fact, I remember little about the whole experience!

My group decided to go with a 50's theme: poodle skirts for the girls, and jeans with white t-shirts for the guys.  We ate a 50's themed dinner at a friend's house, then headed off to the dance.

Far more memorable for me was when Dave returned the favor and asked me on a date.  As a personal rule of his, any girl that treated him to a date got treated in return.  (This is a principle I'd like to teach to my boys.)  Dave's dad's company had a Christmas party, and Dave needed a date.  I got to go see A Christmas Carol at Hale Theater and then hang out with Dave's family.  At some point, we also stopped by Dave's dad's engineering office, which I thought was pretty cool.

I was fortunate to get to go on both of these early dates with one of my best friends and with such a gentleman.  He set the bar high for all my future dates.

0 comments:

Post a Comment