Monday, March 1, 2010

Elementary School - To the Office

My mom taught at a private school, so I had the opportunity to get an education we could not have otherwise afforded.  We lived in Kearns, but we drove nearly 30 minutes each way to get to school at Challenger Elementary in Sandy, Utah.  We would play the alphabet game, practice our spelling words, or read out loud to mom during our drive.

My aunt, Enid Lewis, was the principal at the school, and with my mom teaching there, I didn't have too many opportunities to get into trouble.  On occassion, however, I still found a way.

One day in third grade, we had a substitute teacher.  During a literature lesson, I noticed there was a pencil-sized hole in my desk.  Naturally, I stuck my pencil in it.  The substitute thought I was defacing school property, and sent me to the office.  I knew if I went to Aunt Enid's office, my mom was sure to find out.  So I went to the bathroom instead.  After a few minutes in the bathroom, I returned to class and told the teacher I'd been to see Mrs. Lewis.

Bad plan.

The substitute teacher talked to Mrs. Lewis.  Who talked to my mom.  Who talked to me.  Who had to admit to lying and got in way more trouble than I would have for innocently sticking my pencil into an already formed hole.

Oh how I wish I could say I learned my lesson and never told a lie again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment