Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Funerals - Emily

The first funeral I clearly remember attending was that of a friend who died of lukemia while we were in high school.

I met Emily when she moved into the Draper 7th Ward.  She and her sister Tessa were both around my age, and their house on 123rd South in Draper was just on the other side of the freeway from mine.  We did not get together often, but I do remember going to their house and playing on a few occassions.  I remember Emily being a very kind playmate; she was always happy to do what others wanted to do and did not have an overbearing personality.

Emily's family didn't live in our ward for long, and I did not see Emily again until high school.  By this point, we had become parts of different groups of friends, and we did not have any classes together.  Occassionally, we'd pass in the halls and smile a friendly greeting.  I did not have any close association with Emily until we were in an interior design class together. 

I was aware that Emily had lukemia, but she always seemed very healthy and her attitude was positive.  Our circles didn't interact closely enough for me to be aware of Emily's declining health.  However, when I learned of her death, it was important to me to attend her funeral.

Many students from Alta High School attended what turned out to be a very uplifting funeral - the type which celebrates life and looks forward to the resurrection. 

I am grateful for the few moments of my life which were brightened by knowing Emily, and I am grateful for the impact her death had on the formation of my testimony of eternal life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment