Wednesday, May 25, 2011

School - 7th Grade

When I left Challenger after 6th grade, I had to decide where to go from there. My choices were Crescent View (where the kids in my ward went) or Midvale, where they had the ALPS program. Being raised to value education and not really having friends in the ward anyway, I chose Midvale.

I easily tested into the ALPS program, and I vaguely remember some of my classes. My day started with some form of a literature class. I loved the teacher, but the class had only 11 kids in it, 10 of whom had gone to school together their entire lives. I was an outcast. Even though I was asked to be in special programs and on teams - the point of which I really can't remember - I was never really accepted.

My next class was English, where I hated my teacher. He often made inaccurate statements about grammar, and I would stay after class to correct him. I felt superior to him and consequently felt I had nothing to prove. I wrote the assigned research paper, but decided to not turn it in. I failed the final quarter of English.

I'm sure I had a math class. I have blocked out so much of 7th grade from my memory that I don't have a single distinct memory of a teacher, classroom, or classmate. Nor can I conjure a memory of the lunchroom. I do recall walking through the halls, completely alone, with my nose in a book.

Choir was okay. By 7th grade, I was already a pretty good accompanist, and I do remember being one of my choir director's favorites. I think I even got to sing a solo on one song. But I don't remember a single student from the class.



I'm betting I took science and history, too. I think I maybe remember the history teacher. He used to read to us from the Reader's Digest, because we had class right after lunch, and he thought people should have a story after lunch. He would read us the "Real Life Heroes" stories, and that is when I got hooked on the Reader's Digest, still my favorite magazine.

I vaguely remember hanging out with some guy. Maybe his name was Gavin. I think he was the closest thing I had to a friend.

I went from being Student Body President at Challenger to being completely lost in a school where I had no one. It's a time in my life I don't talk about, mostly just because I don't remember it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment