Sunday, January 9, 2011

Choices - Rated R Movie

My parents taught me by their words and by their examples that watching Rated R movies was not something Heavenly Father wanted me to do.  Because I spent most of my time with my family, this was an easy value to live up to.  Once I became a teenager, though, I had an opportunity to prove this was something I believed for myself, not just something my parents had chosen for me.

After a hard seventh grade year at Midvale Middle school, I decided to go back to Challenger School for eighth grade.  Since there wasn't actually an eighth grade, I was in a class of seventh grade students.  These were not the kids I had gone through elementary with, and I always struggling to feel like I fit in.

At the end of the school year, I was invited to a party with the whole class.  We went swimming at the birthday boy's house, then we were invited inside to watch a movie.

I hadn't heard of the movie, so I asked what it was rated.  When I found out it was Rated R, there was no hesitation or question of what I would do.  I waited outside by the pool for the duration of the movie.  The only other person outside was the boy's dad.

I did not gain respect or admiration for my choice, but I wasn't made fun of either.  What I did gain was a stronger conviction of my own values and the knowledge that when faced with a difficult decision, I did know how to choose the right.

0 comments:

Post a Comment